I sense a kind of build up of anxiety towards the holidays this year from the discussions I’ve been having lately with all of my clients. So if you are also feeling uneasy about how the holidays are going to affect your health goals and habits, this is for you!
Below I will share my personal tips on how to stay healthy during the holiday season.
- Drink lots of water regularly throughout the day.
- Eat a salad or veggies and dip before the main meal or ensure it takes up half of your plate at dinner time.
- Set a portion control limit with drinks, snacks, meals, and desserts.
- Bring healthy alternatives to events and social gatherings.
- Enjoy a little bit of everything on your plate at buffet style meals.
- Indulge in your favourite goodies that hold sentimental value in your heart, guilt and shame free.
- Create a new holiday tradition with your family and go for a group walk outside in nature, or go ice skating, sledding, etc.
- If you don’t have workouts in plan for the holidays, incorporate some light stretching or yoga to take it easy on the body while also giving it the attention it deserves.
- Remember: this is only an annual celebration, not your everyday lifestyle, so if you overdo it, don’t worry about it! You are not throwing your health goals and habits out the door, you just pick yourself back up and carry on.
- Remember: I strongly believe that your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Sometimes it is healthier to eat soul food with loved ones than to eat a boring salad all alone. When you fully embrace a food, you are better able to digest it, rather than feeling stressed or guilty, which is harder on your body. So go into this holiday season with self compassion and your body will take what it needs from it.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. If you liked it, please share with someone who needs this gentle reminder.
How are you feeling about the holiday season ahead? Comment below or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org